We are PASSOINATE about sailing!
Sail where the wind is!
`Competition Foiling is our Focus!
Learn to sail and race modern, fast, fun and foiling boats.
For ages 7-77
We are Sailing/Foiling NOW! Ask about a free trial Sail.
We are Sailing/Foiling This Summer 2021! June 29th – fall ’21
Morning (beginner) and afternoon (experienced) session each day.
This is what we will be doing:
NOTE: The core of the class will be building on what they’ve learned and advancing through the summer. However, you can start or stop at anytime. You may not be able to take advantage of the more advanced themes taught as the summer goes on, but you will be foiling on the water in the heat of July and August, learning exciting stuff and having a blast!
- Morning Briefing Session / Virtual Classroom delivery ON:
- Daily “standup”
- Goals for the day
- Rig Boat
- Tune Boat
- Launch Boat – lowering the foils.
- Sail Boat (sailing drills – tack, gybe, right, tacking on whistle, follow the leader)
- Foil Boat (Foiling drills – tack, gybe, tacking downwind, speed)
- Race (or not)
- Starting sequence
- Tactics and strategies, rabbit starts, late barging starts, port tack starts, favored end.
- Rounding rules.
- sail to a mark and return
- Land Boat – raising the foils.
- Derig Boat
- Virtual Classroom Debrief to foster a culture of continuous improvement
What you do:
- Sail our foilers with instruction/Coaching from local champion sailors.
- OR buy your own foiler and join our sessions at a reduced rate.
- Use your session for your own purposes or stick with the class agenda.
- Buy a day, or reduced price session packages and make a summer of sailing/foiling lessons out of it.
Daily Practice Races.
We will hold an informal race start during each session, you can practice your starts and race if you wish.
Saturday’s: Practice at 10, Races at Noon (2 WL and 1 Distance/Navigation race)
Points racing will be held on Saturdays at noon. Open to members.
GSBYRA club members who bring 3 or more class boats will be given their own start.
We sail morning and afternoon sessions Tue/Wed/Thur, weather permitting.
Friday we race at GSBYRA Junior Competitions
Saturday is Race day at SSRS.
Annual Membership is 195$.
- Free entry to Points race scoring (boat not included) for Saturday Race.
- Notifications via text message for weather and status.
- Access to launch your sailboat (storage available for an annual fee – boat and dolly only)
We Are Hiring US Sailing Certified Instructors!
Please send your CV or Resume to email@example.com
Why Focus on Foiling?
Foiling is not the future of sailing, it’s where sailing is right now. As the newest path in the sport foiling has now become the standard. We want our children on the front end of this growth and not in a position of having to catch up as older teens and young adults. The world class competition, right now, is on foiling monohulls (did you see the current America’s Cup Boats?) and on foiling Olympic class catamarans. The younger we can expose children to the skills needed for foiling the easier it will be for them to learn immersively, take leadership and develop the sport. Anything less puts us and our kids in the position of of ” catch up”. When kids miss the opportunity to learn these skills, “catching up” later is virtually impossible. Why should Long Island, or the United States cede these skills on the world stage?
bring your own boat or rent one of ours! Dry storage space available.
- Bring your own class legal foiling wasp or Nacra 15FCS or rent one of ours.
- Practice races daily during the summer
- Point race series on Saturdays at noon.
- Learn to race and have fun.
- Try a foiling boat
- US Sailing Certified Instructors available to teach you to race, take you racing or
- Go for a day sail and try out a foiling boat for fun.
- Private per session instruction available
While many of the area programs are “tried and true”, over time they have also become sedentary in their ways, sail obsolete boats that are slow, uncomfortable and have lost relevancy and offer severely limited short seasons. Time on water is key… When you have children that are passionate about sailing, not only for the sport but for the pure joy of it, you’re left searching and traveling for filler programs in order to round out their instruction. This is crazy! The Great South Bay has always produced great sailors. We have great wind, water and challenging conditions. The only thing missing is a relevant, solid program. Until now.
We provide an intensive program for those that want more out of sailing than your usual 7 week summer camp program provides.
Spring, Summer and Fall Sessions
- 3 hour daily beginner session on RS-Tera’s (faster and far more fun than Opti’s).
- 4 hour daily Intermediate and advanced sessions on RS -Feva and Nacra 15FCS (Olympic Pathway).
- Mentorship opportunities for beginners and intermediates to crew for advanced sailors on the bigger boats.
- Daily Practice Races.
- Access to GSBYRA Racing on Friday’s
- Points Racing and Practice Racing on Saturday. Bring your own class legal boat and race with our fleet! – we will give water access and a separate start and score to EVERY GROUP that wants to race. Bring 3 or more class boats. Practice 10-12, Racing 12 – finish. 2 Windward Leeward, 1 Distance Navigation Race. (annual storage available, inquire for fees).
- A debrief after every class and race series to foster continuous improvement.
- Scheduled “navigation” sails to Fire Island (and back).
- Opportunities for advancement to Certified US Sailing Instructor Status.
Why Great South Bay?
Great south bay has produced more than its fair share of champion sailors. Why? the #1 reason is because this is where the wind is. #2 reason is the shallow water, sandy bottom and the almost daily 180 degree wind shifts make for more types of challenging conditions in the short chop than other bodies of water. We have wonderful thermals here, during ‘lock-in’ periods you can almost set your watch by them. The prevailing winds generally go northerly in the middle of the night as everything equalizes in temperature. As the sun rises and the day heats up a temperature differential is created between the cold waters of the Atlantic and the white sand beaches of Fire Island, The shallow dark bottom of Great South Bay and the mainland of Long Island.
Simply, Look at the barrier beach to the south of Great South Bay. It’s a jib. Long Island is the Mainsail, Great South Bay is the slot between the jib and the mainsail. During “locked-in” weather in the summer we get a wind shift in the late morning from north to south, and the thermal usually kicks in around 11:15am and howls until the sun starts to go down. The same southerly often doesn’t make it to the North Shore at all, or if it does it takes until late afternoon and it’s often weak.
Spring Series: INQUIRE
Summer Series: INQUIRE
Extended Summer: INQUIRE
Frostbite Series: By Invitation
What makes South Bay Racing School Different?
- Limited session Size, in most cases 3:1 ratio, more personalized instruction.
- Longer Session Length, 3-4 Hours maximum time on the water.
- Tailored for passionate sailors who want more than summer camp.
- Access to Great South Bay. Storage available for addtional fee.
-*Do you want to bring your own RS Tera, RS Feva or N15 FCS, get instruction or participate in our races? Please contact us for BYOB pricing and availability.
A limited number of ‘charter’ memberships are available which give priority access to the best boats plus other ‘features’. SOLD OUT in 2 days.
Sustaining Member, SOLD OUT 3 days
This is a small intensive school with an immersive program.
- Total Student Load 16-24
- 4 Certified Instructors
- 3 oversight team
Mentorship is our mission.
- The focus of mentoring is to develop the whole person.
- Our students have the opportunity to acquire lifetime relationship-based skills that can empower their future, and provide a foundation for leadership roles, far beyond sailing.
Questions and Answers:
Q: can i bring my own boat?
A. Yes you can join our school and races if you bring your own boat. You must sign a waiver and there will be a fee for instruction and races.
Q: can i store my boat and equipment there?
A: Yes, dry storage is available for a fee.
we are looking for advice, critiques and people who are interested in joining.
Let’s get the word out.
Contact us for further information at:
Our Sailing Friends
GSBYRA.ORG – Great South Bay Racing Association